Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Guitar


Rock and Roll can be played with almost any instrument. People have expressed themselves in rock using pianos, violins, and even harps. Using today's technology you can give almost any instrument a rock and roll sound. But the instrument that most people associate with rock is the guitar. With its hardcore sound and easy manipulation capabilities makes it a favorite of rock artists. 

Since I play guitar and I'm studying rock music I thought I might tell you a little bit about the guitar. Different styles of guitars have been around since ancient times. But the true electric guitar has only been around since the 1930's. Guitars are also not restricted by 6 strings. There are 4, 7, 8, 10 ,11, 12, 13 and even 18 string guitars. But the most common is the 6 string. Consisting of a low E, A, D, G, B, and high E string. And by placing your fingers at different intervals and patterns across the frets which are used for spacing. You can make different tones which make chords and then music. There are typically around 22 frets along the board. Going down by full and half steps. And repeating after the 12th. This gives the artist an extensive option of pitches and sounds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment